Sunday, January 29, 2012

Making Room for Abundance: Clearing Clutter

For some time now, I have been on a de-cluttering mission. It is part of my personal self-development and my expansion as a creative soul.  I've studied the psychology of it and started a private Facebook group about it.  As you can see from this blog and my website, I also came cross a wonderful coach, Sue Rasmussen, and she has really made a difference in my life. (You can learn more about Sue by looking at the "Clearing Clutter" tab at the top of this blog.)

Sue has a monthly "Clear Out" day as part of her Streamline Your Success program. My work schedule rarely allows me time to participate "live," but I do get the recordings to listen to later and do at my own pace.  So this weekend, I worked on the call from October (now THAT's a sign I have too much "time clutter!") October's focus was on the bathroom, linen closet, master bedroom and guest room.

I knew going into it that I wouldn't get to the second bedroom, or finish the master bedroom either and that was fine with me. I just needed to get started and I did make significant progress. My energy feels so much lighter now that my bathroom and linen closet have a lot of extra space. I threw away things that absolutely didn't delight me: expired over-the-counter items were especially pleasing to get rid of. People who know me, know that I rarely use the items anyway.

I've now got a basket full of toiletries to give away to people at work. I started that practice a couple of years ago, where I bring in things and quietly put them in a basket on the window sill of the women's bathroom. People clear that out in a heartbeat!

I've also some things packed up to give to charity. With a pick-up scheduled in a few weeks, it will give me a chance to go through more things between now and then.  Although Sue recommends you take the items to your car or to the charity right away on a "Clear Out Day,"  it feels ok with me to take it out of the bedroom and set it out of the way until pick-up day.

"Tolerations" are things you put up with, but that drain your energy. In physical terms, they could be seemingly little things, but that have a huge effect on your psyche. (Examples: missing buttons, lightbulb burnt out, broken items you've been meaning to repair, etc.) The things in that charity donation bag were "tolerations" to a certain extent: I had been meaning to either sell them or donate them, but they hung around for months because I never "got around to it." Knowing that they're now temporarily occupying another space until a specific date doesn't feel like a "toleration." Had I not had the opportunity to live in a place where some charities come to your home for pick-up items, it would turn into a "toleration" as I'd probably never "get around to it."

With all that clearing of space, my energy is feeling wonderful and open to new possibilities. I'm excited for the changes that are coming and particularly as it relates to my bedroom space.  Perhaps the biggest clearing path for abundant blessings I cleared was my broken bed. I've been putting off dealing with it, as I have other places to sleep, but this broken bed had become a HUGE "toleration" for me. And I believe I got to the point with myself where I'd had enough of putting up with it!

You could say I got fed up with it! So yes, I decided this week that I wanted my bedroom back! First, I worked on fixing the bed frame, only to discover that it broke again as soon as I laid down on it! So I dis-assembled the thing and took it to the garbage, while ordering another frame online. It should come this week and I can't wait to have my bedroom back!

After going through all of these emotions and feelings with the energy that I allowed to leave my home and the new spacious energy that replaced it, I find it interesting that my bedroom was an area where I had a huge toleration going on, given my recent relationship challenges. I know that by clearing the physical clutter and this toleration I am really paying more attention to my own self-care. And in doing so, I'm loving myself and that only means one thing: I attract more love to me!

10 comments:

ahmedabadonnet said...

Informative...
ahmedabadonnet.com

Sienna said...

This brings new meaning to "clearing the cobwebs." Not in the physical sense, but in the emotional, mind, body and spirit sense."

Pammee Dee said...

You have received the Sunshine award. It is a blogger to blogger recognition for a blog well done. You can check out my post, and the only instructions are to answer the "a little about you questions" then list ten of your favorite bloggers and pass on the Sunshine award to them.




you can check out my blog at




http://nothisblogisnotaboutyou.blogspot.com/

Real Chick said...

I call it "weeding the garden" and agree that it has to be done quite thoroughly from time to time.

wow account for sale said...

Great! such an informative post indeed.

sandeep said...

Good blog...Not in the physical sense, but in the emotional, mind, body and spirit sense."

nowglad said...

By eliminating clutter and tolerations in my house, I have noticed a similar result. I feel a sense of accomplishment and pleasure when I come to a home that has space and meaning. I think is important for people to feel their home things of meaning. Often times this requires selling or even giving away things of less value. By going through the de-clutter process, I realize the abundance that surrounds me. I have begun to really appreciate the items I possess.

Christine said...

I was married to a hoarder for 20 years and could never find my stuff. I thought what's the use of having it when I can't find it. I got rid of it all. What I am left with fits into a suitcase and a box. I am quite happy with that.

MeganRose said...

I need a serious de-clutter too but can't seem to get the motivation for it! I may have to just do it in small bits and see where it goes from there, starting with... all my old high school and college papers and work, urgh... wish me luck!

Barbara Clark said...

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments and for taking the time to comment. @MeganRose - de-cluttering in small bits (or) a more defined focused way is a good way to start. I highly recommend Sue Rasmussen's work. It has served me very well in my journey of clearing the energy to make room for new energy! :-) All the best to everyone, Barbara